Industrial Development
(Salisbury, Penna. Centennial August 29, 1962)

The following was written in 1962 - all location references apply to the time of writing.
Information taken directly from the Centennial.

The first tinnier in the town was Phineas Compton. This occupation was a very important one in these earlier years.  Tradition relates that he was a maker of squirrel rifles.  However, records would indicate that the rifles he made were for his own use and much time had been spent perfection them. 
A pottery was established in 1809 by Peter Welfley on the present location of Diehl's Variety Store.  He also built a good log house upon the corner where the Lichliter & C0. store is now located.
The first tannery was operated by Michael Dively.  He was born in Berlin, Somerset County in 1783.  He learned the tanner's trade in Berlin with his father, Martin Dively.  In 1806, Michael Dively, settled in Salisbury.  He entered the war of 1812 as a sergeant and served one year.  From that year until 1812 he received several military promotions.  In that year he was elected brigadier general of the 12th division, composed of Bedford, Somerset and Cambria counties.
Arthur McKinley, was born in Hancock, Maryland, in 1809.  He came to Salisbury in 1844, and engaged in harness making, which occupation he followed for a considerable number of years.  He was appointed postmaster in 1870, but resigned in 1872, in favor of his son.
Records and tradition definitely indicate that few men have given so much to the men with whom they worked and their fellowmen, as a whole, as did "Axie" Yoder, better known as the "Famous Ax Maker".
Obviously, it will be understood that although much can be said about this man, we must be brief.  Just how many "apprentices" with whom this master Ax-Maker shared his knowledge, we are not certain.  We list the names of those called to our attention:  Aaron Schrock, David Frankhauser, John Swartzentruber, Samuel Judy, Gabriel Schrock, Leonard Berkley, John Yowler, Joseph Weimer, George Lichty, Benjamin J. Yoder (Axie's son), Thomas Moore, George Coleman, Michael Koontz, Jerome Bowman and Jeremiah Livengood.
Mr. Yoder kept the records of the axes he made and tempered for his apprentices.:
Mr. Yoder --------------4,550
Michael Koontz----------2,200
David Frankhauser -------  360
John Swartzentruber--------200
Samuel Judy----------------700
Gabriel Schrock------------900
Leonard Berkley------------200
John Yowler--------------1,112
Joseph Weimer---------------25
George Lichty---------------426
B.J. Yoder------------------418
Thomas Moore---------------29
George Coleman----------1,195
TOTAL:  12,355
In 1871, George H. Suhrie and Luther A. Smith established the first newspaper in the town.  It was known as The Salisbury Independent.  A considerable number of copies of this paper are in existence today.  Needless to say, these copies are treasured by their owners.  About a year after being established, the Salisbury Independent was moved to Meyersdale, where it was printed under a different name.  Finally, it was succeeded by another newspaper.  During the later 1880's Daniel F. Coleman established The Salisbury News Letter.  William Petry also conducted a newspaper in Salisbury for a short time.  However, both of these newspapers were short lived.  There are no known copies of these papers.  On December 10, 1891, the Somerset County Star was established by Peter L. Livengood.  On May 1st, 1909, he sold the paper to Robert H. Johnston of Salisbury, who conducted it for a number of years until 1928.
*visit the Meyersdale Library for microfilm
Salisbury is actually the heart of the Maple Industry of the Somerset County, Pennsylvania - Garret County, Maryland area.  Two thirds of the maple syrup and maple products produced in this area comes from camps within a ten mile radius of the town.  The greatest concentration of trees in the area lies in the Tubb Mill Run Valley, just west of the town.  The whole area except for a few small groves lies between Laurel Mountain and the Allegheny Mountain, and extends northward to the Lincoln Highway and southward through Garrett County, Maryland into West Virginia. 
At one time Garrett County, Maryland produced more maple syrup than Elk Lick Township camps, but now the Salisbury area leads the way.  The Somerset County part of this area does not produce as much as the northwestern part of the state.
In a peak year of 1931, the J. C. Lichliter & Co., of Salisbury, who are the largest handlers of gallon lots in the area, handled more than 17 carloads of syrup and maple sugar, which at today's (1962) prices would be worth three quarters of a million dollars.

the Standard Extract Works, built at West Salisbury, in 1888, at the cost of $60,000 was probably the second greatest industry in the community in the late 1800's.  Their business was the extraction of certain chemical properties from the chestnut wood that was used in tanning.  It was one of the most modern plants of its kind, and gave employment to a large number of individuals in cutting ahd hauling the time to the plant as well as employment in the plant itself.  The Plant was destroyed by fire in 1892, and was never rebuilt.
Among the early industries that employed more than the members of a single family, was The Salisbury Foundry, which was located on the plot of land which was occupied by the McClure Service Station.  It was established in 1868 when the plant of the Berlin Foundry was moved to Salisbury.  From an old account book, there were twenty-one stock holders, all residing within the community.  This would indicated wholehearted cooperation on the part of the local community.
The Otto Brick and Tile Works near Springs was founded by D. D. Otto in 1902, and came about as the result of a community need and popular demand.  In the late nineties there had been several brick factories in the southern half of the county.  The Keystone plant, and that of the late Frank Black Sr. in Meyersdale: The Statler plant west of Garrett, and the Miller plant near Rockwood.  All of these had closed down by 1900 - a fact which suggests that brick making was not too prosperous a business in those days.  John and Joe Knecht of West Salisbury purchased the brick machinery when it was dismantled, and undertook to make brick, but soon gave it up because the clay of that locality was not suitable for making brick and for a time there were no brick plants in the vicinity.
When the Knecht brothers gave up making brick, they, as well as many others encouraged Mr. Otto to try his hand at it, who at that time owned a small farm and was also in partnership with Samuel Baker in cutting a track of chestnut timber for delivery to the dye plant in West Salisbury.  Among those who were especially interested in having this enterprise started were Gideon Miller, local minister and machinist, F. W. Bender, merchant, and Henry Bittinger, stone mason.  Thus encouraged by his friends, Mr. Otto decided to investigate the clay possibilities on his little farm.  Finding a very good grade of clay, he purchased the brick machinery briefly used by the Knect Brothers, and proceeded to build a brick factory.
The Salisbury Undergarment Company, Inc. came to Salisbury in 1948, as the direct result of contacts made by the Industrial Committee of the Salisbury Lions Club.  A pilot plant was established in the Grange Hall on Ord street, in which new employees were instructed in the use of the company's machinery.  The Lion's Club members sold bonds to build a plant for the company, and then organized the bondholders into the Salisbury Industrial Association, Inc. to carry out the construction plants.  The new building on Union Street was completed and turned over to the company on December 7, 1949. 
Ferdinand Breig was the first on record who served this area in building coffins and assisting in the burial of the dead.  His place of business was on Ord Street.  He was a carpenter by trade and in business with his brother Ambrose Breig and brother-in-law, Henry DeHaven.  They built most of the buildings in the area during the period of 1850 to 1870 including St. Paul's Wilhelm Church. 
Samuel Lowry was the next undertaker who served the Salisbury area.  His place of business was on Grant Street.  Samuel Lowry was a wagon maker, cabinet maker, justice of the peace and undertaker.  He was the first to practice embalming as it was then understood.  He probably started to practice undertaking about 1868 and carried a full line of coffins and later caskets.  He was also the first to use a hearse in Salisbury.  He took his son in the business with him about 1880.  Samuel Lowry died in 1910.
Harry McCulloh was the next undertaker to open for business in Salisbury about 1885.  In June of 1899 he purchased the Harriet Weaver lot on Grant Street (known as Calamus Patch) and in July of that year broke ground for the erection of a new undertaking shop and furniture store, with upstairs living quarters.  Harry McCulloh was an experienced embalmer for his day and from old records it would appear that he did good work and carried a full line of funeral merchandise and his equipment was the best available at the time.  He had a partner in the furniture business by the name of Johnson. 
From about 1910 to 1935 the Salisbury area was served by funeral directors from Meyersdale and Grantsville.  In November 1935 Stanley M. Thomas opened the Thomas Funeral Home on the corner of Grant and Ord streets.

Old Montevue House, built in 1852 my Michael Hay
Thomas Funeral Home

Physicians Of Salisbury Post Office, The First National Bank , D.I. Hay Store
M. Knecht & Sons Foundry West Salisbury Garage
Lichliter Feed Store page one  Lichliter Feed Store page two
West Salisbury Depot General Railroad History
Obituary of Michael Riley The Making of Maple Products Page One
The Making of Maple Products Page Two The History of Maple Syrup and Production
Salisbury Elk Lick industry Coal and Logging industry

History of Salisbury School Salisbury Bands Sports History Area Churches Salisbury Organizations Salisbury Veterans Salisbury Endures Aerial and Street views of Salisbury Industry -- from logging to cars. Cornplanter Indians Surrounding Area History Message Board Showalter Garlitz Genealogy Welcome To Salisbury History