St. John's Lutheran Church, Union Street, Salisbury
In 1853 while M. F. Pfahler was pastor, a brick Luthern/Reformed union church was built on Ord Street . In 1888 While O.F. Harshman was pastor, the Reformed and Lutheran congregations separated. The Lutherans bought three lots on Union Street from Mary McBride for $5oo.oo and laid the cornerstone for a new church on July 24, 1889. On March 2, 1890 a white wood frame Gothic style church costing $5,200.00 was dedicated by the Rev. J.K. Menges of Philadelphia.
Discussions concerning the renovation of St. John's or the erection of a new building began in 1963. In 1966 a building committee was formed, new construction rather than renovation was approved with Robert. C. Balling of Uniontown, architect. The construction was approved January, 19, 1969, with Olen Rembold as general contractor. Ground breaking for a new church on the same site was held June 27, 1969, with the cornerstone being laid August 17, 1969. During construction worship services were held in the parish hall. The order for the dedication of the church was conducted December 21, 1969 by Pastor Fetter and the Rev. Arthur E. Yeagy.
Information obtained from "The Casselman Chronicle" Volume XXXII
CHURCHES OF SALISBURY
AND SURROUNDING AREA