John married Elizabeth Roth, daughter of Anthony and Magdalena Roth, Dec. 28, 1791, in Rockingham County. Elizabeth was born about 1770 in Pennsylvania and died in 1849, at Turleytown, which was located about two miles southwest of Cootes Store, VA. From 1816 until her death in 1849, Elizabeth and members of her family lived on and paid land taxes for 1 acre in Turleytown, a place that was previously called the “Pinch” by tax collectors. Land tax records show that Turleytown was 12 miles north of the Court House.
The surname Roth is also known as Rhodes in the Shenandoah Valley. A Roth family came to America on the same ship as immigrant Jacob Showalter and his family.
Children of John and Elizabeth (Roth) Showalter were:
1. Anthony B. Showalter was born about 1793 and died in Rockingham County, Va. in 1830. He married Susannah Long, daughter of George and Magdalena Long, July 15, 1815.
2. John Showalter Jr. was born Dec. 2, 1795 and died March 12, 1875, at North River, Rockingham County. He married Susannah Shank, daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Weiss) Shank, April 1, 1819. Susannah was born May 20, 1794 and died March 17, 1854. Their nine children were:
a. Katie Showalter married Henry Sipe.
b. Lydia Showalter was born May 20, 1824 and died Feb. 26, 1906, unmarried.
c. Jacob Harvey Showalter was born in 1826 and died in the 8th day of his life.
d. John Showalter III was born Sept. 12, 1830 and died April 19, 1900. John married Hettie Whitesell, March 8, 1855.
e. Delilah Showalter was born Jan. 31, 1833 and died Oct. 18, 1914. She married William H. Chapman.
f. Susan Showalter was born May 6, 1835 and died Oct. 19, 1910. Susan married William B. Gilkeson, son of Hugh and Eliza (Fifer) Gilkerson, Dec. 17, 1866. The Gilkersons were originally from Augusta County, but resettled in Rockingham County.
g. Adeline Showalter was born May 20, 1839 and died on March 17, 1922.
h. Sarah Showalter was born circa 1841, and nothing more is known about her.
3. Nancy Showalter married Richard Bittle (Biddle) on Aug. 29, 1818, in Rockingham County.
4. Sarah Showalter was born in 1804 and died April 2, 1891. Sarah married Henry Early on Aug. 18, 1825. Henry was born in 1804 and died Feb. 1, 1883. Both were buried in Early’s Cemetery in Rockingham County.
5. Elizabeth Showalter married Jacob Dinkle on Jan. 16, 1824.
6. Samuel Showalter married a woman named Susan. She was born in 1808 and died on March 25, 1855. Burial was in the Early Cemetery in Rockingham County. Samuel owned 110 acres along the “Stage Road” about nine miles south of the courthouse.
7. Catherine Showalter was born on March 21, 1806, and died Sept. 30, 1881. She married Samuel Hiser, July 19, 1823.
8. George Showalter was born Jan. 21, 1807 and died Jan. 18, 1887. He married Margaret Gangware, who was born on Jan. 21, 1803 and died Jan. 18, 1887. Burial was in the Levels Cemetery in Hampshire County, WV. Their children were: Rebecca, Samuel B., John, Catherine married Jackson Robison, Lydia, Susan Jane, and a still-born child.
9. Rebecca Showalter of whom nothing more is known.
10. Susannah Showalter married John Whitmore, son of Jacob and Marie (Coppin) Whitmore, March 18, 1833.
11. William Showalter married Susan Whitmore, daughter of Jacob and Marie (Coppin) Whitmore, April 24, 1834.
12. Jeremiah Showalter was born June 27, 1812, and died Dec. 6, 1884. Jeremiah married Catherine Bowman, and they had a child Samuel Greenbrier Showalter. They moved to Hampshire County, WV.
13. Andrew Showalter married Catherine Boyers on Oct. 7, 1837. They owned 130.3 acres along North River. It is believed they went to Knox County, Tennessee.
14. Martin Showalter married Margaret Kyger, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Harshman) Kyger, April 13, 1840. Margaret was born on Aug. 19, 1819. A daughter, Amanda Jane Showalter, married John Roller in 1864.
Wilmer L. Kerns PhD
4715 North 38th Place
Arlington, VA 22207-2914