Early parish records indicate that
the congregation has been in existence since 1803 or even earlier.
The first services were held by a Pastor Hunger in the home of Peter Deal.
In 1810 a log school house known as "Werner's" was built in the community.
Both the Lutheran and Reformed congregations worshipped in this building.
A Pastor Oestereich served the Lutheran community during this period.
In the spring of 1848, Jacob Diehl donated a lot on which the Lutheran and
Reformed congregations jointly were to erect a church. Accordingly
on July 15, 1848 the cornerstone was laid and the building was dedicated
on November 19, 1848. At this time when Christian Lepley was pastor,
Evangelical congregation consisted of thirty-eight members.
This arrangement continued until 1910 when the Lutherans under the guidance of the Rev. Dr. L. P. Young decided to build their own church. A plot of ground was purchased from John D. Arnold and work on the new church was begun. The cornerstone was laid on June 5, and the building was dedicated on October 16, 1910. An estimated 1500 persons witnessed this memorable event. Prior to his resignation on February 1, 1915, Dr. Young recorded 144 confirmed members.
Information taken directly from the Salisbury Centennial
OF SALISBURY AND SURROUNDING AREA