Information taken directly from: "History of Bedford, Somerset
and Fulton Counties, Pennsylvania 1884
"Waterman, Watkins and Co."
Elk Lick was so named from the fact that within the township was a lick which the elk and deer used to frequent. The township was organized as a division of Bedford county about the year 1785. Settlements were made very early by immigrants of German and Irish birth. Elk Lick township contains rich deposits of coal, iron ore and limestone. Since the building of the railroad the development of these products has become an important industry.
The first settled farm is believed to have been that now owned by John W. Beachly, situated immediately north of the town of Salisbury. The settler was Joseph Markley, who became the owner of a tract of land extending from the mouth of Pine Run along the Casselman river to the mouth of Meadow run, thence along Meadow run for a distance of about one and one-half miles; thence north to Pine run; thence following Pine run to the place of beginning. The date of settlment was probably between the years 1755 to 1760. Markley also claimed a portion of the land on the opposite side of the river, being a part of what is now the David Livengood farm. A man named Judy also laid claim to the same land. One day the two claimants met on the hill on the opposite side of the river, and proceeded to settle the dispute by a fistic encounter. Judy was vanquised in the fight, and Markley continued in possession. From this affair arose the name of Flog Hill.
Working in conjunction with www.rootsweb.com Somerset
County Pennsylvania Genealogy
Elk Lick Township
Cemetery and Census information
Surrounding Area History
|Boynton: A brief history and photographs of Boynton||Postcards of Boynton Page One|
|Postcards of Boynton Page Two||Postcards of Boynton Page Three|
|Postcards of Boynton Page Four||Mt. Davis: Forest Ranger|
|Old Map: 1876 Area Map||Elk Lick Township|
|Mt. Davis Pennsylvania: Dedication ceremony|